The way I am building this is probably NOT the right way and probably going to be a bit on the heavy side. But it is my First Built RG65.
The balsa sheer plank that was installed was broken and split and was coming off the hull. I carefully removed the plank and re did the sheer plank using spruce and West Epoxy systems with some red phenolic.
I then created a scaled drawing to determine where I could put the cross members in, taking care to leave room for the mast(s). The cross members are notched into the sheer plank. I also glued the transom in using a basswood sheet (sealed with west epoxy clear) but glued into the fiber glass hull with Epoxy and a white silica thickener. Note: I will not be using the fiberglass deck provided in the kit. I will simply make a flat deck’d RG 65. I am thinking about using Styrene for the deck top instead of the .0625″ plywood I have on hand.
I have never used Styrene before (except when building plastic models 40 + years ago..)
I also re-glued the keel box assy and re-enforced the ends with 1.4mil fiberglass. It is no longer coming apart. The first mast step is the main mast using a standard rig. The second mast step (I think) is for a swing rig.
Next, I needed a scale drawing to determing how much to take off the keel box to mount it in the hull. I then trimmed the keel box to the curve.
I needed a way to make sure the keel and keel box are straight. I found an article from Model Yachting Issue 184 where Eric Rossenberg designed a keel alignment tool. I made it.
Then I drilled and tapped a 4-40 threaded rod into the top of the keel. I had to make a fixture for my drill press. Tedious but it worked great. Glued Rod into the keel with West Epoxy.
Thats it for now. on the RG65 BlueSplash for now.