2019-01-18 Update

It has been a few months since updating. I have finished the outer hull, now to put the guts in and deck. Caring for elder parents have put the kabosh on much progress.

I will also be switching this to a mediawiki site as I am hating this WordPress.

Still have to paint/etc Whole boat is spruce and one coat of fiberglass 3mil..

Off the build-board.

2018-09-27-status-star45

I have been busy in the past several weeks.

I placed the rest of the frames in the jig and started to glue in the Keelson  and first side stringers.  Everything is glued with West Epoxy with red-phenolic thickener.  The insides of the stringers and frames are clear coated with epoxy as well.  The rubber band schema works great!

Next, the Chine Logs were placed.  All wood used is spruce.  The Chine logs are .25x.25 48″ long.

Next, the half frames and sheer rails are installed.  There are two pieces of the sheer rail system, one on top of the other.

There is some force needed to get the planks right.  After the c-clamp was used, I went out and bought some decent rail clamps at Lowes.

I then faired the hull using a very sharp small plane.  The chine logs took the longest time being very careful to make sure the sharp edges of the chine are kept while matching the frames.  I then placed one side of the hull skin on (.0625″ ply).   The other side will go on this weekend and I may be able to start planking the bottom of the hull which will take another week or so.

After that then I need to fair, sand and fill then cover with 1.4g fiberglass to seal the hull.

More pictures later!

 

2018-08-BlueSpash Start

I purchased a partially completed (very partially) BlueSpash kit with some components from a member of the NVMYC .  The Kit came from ERC and Brighton Boat Works.

The way I am building this is probably NOT the right way and probably going to be a bit on the heavy side.  But it is my First Built RG65.

The balsa sheer plank that was installed was broken and split and was coming off the hull.  I carefully removed the plank and re did the sheer plank using spruce and West Epoxy systems with some red phenolic.

I then created a scaled drawing to determine where I could put the cross members in, taking care to leave room for the mast(s).  The cross members are notched into the sheer plank.   I also glued the transom in using a basswood sheet (sealed with west epoxy clear) but glued into the fiber glass hull with Epoxy and a white silica thickener.   Note: I will not be using the fiberglass deck provided in the kit.  I will simply make a flat deck’d RG 65.   I am thinking about using Styrene for the deck top instead of the .0625″ plywood I have on hand.

I have never used Styrene before (except when building plastic models 40 + years ago..)

 

I also re-glued the keel box assy and re-enforced the ends with 1.4mil fiberglass.  It is no longer coming apart.  The first mast step is the main mast using a standard rig.  The second mast step (I think) is for a swing rig.

Next, I needed a scale drawing to determing how much to take off the keel box to mount it in the hull.  I then trimmed the keel box to the curve.

I needed a way to make sure the keel and keel box are straight.  I found an article from Model Yachting Issue 184 where Eric Rossenberg designed a keel alignment tool.  I made it.

Then I drilled and tapped a 4-40 threaded rod into the top of the keel.  I had to make a fixture for my drill press.  Tedious but it worked great.  Glued Rod into the keel with West Epoxy.

Thats it for now. on the RG65 BlueSplash for now.

 

Saturday 2018-08-25

Saturday. During the past week I clear coated the frames with clear West Systems epoxy.

After some chores at home I test fit frames 5&6 on the strong back.  They were very tight and fit well in the slots and on the strong back.  I then fit all the rest of the clear coated frames and decided to check the alignment with a laser level.  Everything was perfect with slight adjustments for squareness to the frames. I plan to use Sitka spruce for all the stringers, planks and keelson with 1/16, 3/32 ply for the side planking.  Taking it slow and easy.

The clubs around me do not sail stars.  So I am also working on building an RG 65 blue splash from a partially built fiberglass kit from one of the club members in NVMYC ( northern va).  I hope to bring my Star back and forth to Connecticut to sail. I have relatives in old Saybrook.  Anyway. Pics follow.

Test fitting frames 5/6

Test fit frames

Place frames

Setting up Laser Level

Laser shows frames are aligned!